At Roebuck Academy we aim to produce high quality Geography education that will help pupil’s gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of the wider world. We aim to inspire pupil’s curiosity and fascination about the world and develop a wide range of transferable skills. The children are encouraged to ask perceptive questions and think critically about the world around them whilst challenging stereotypes. We ask deep level questions and use these as a basis for an enquiry based curriculum.
The 2014 National Curriculum highlighted the importance of skills alongside knowledge. Due to this, Roebuck Academy follows a skills based curriculum. Each curriculum area focuses on an important range of skills, and these are developed and built upon throughout the unit of work. As mapped out by the National Curriculum 2014, these skills are planned for to enable progression to occur throughout each key and across the school.
Through high quality teaching, we aim to encourage and promote a passion and enthusiasm for Geography in our children so that they become reflective and aware geographers. Children will be engrossed in the subject and inquisitive about real world matters, as well as asking questions that show they have a sense of who they are and the wider world around them. All children will make progress in Geography through varied opportunities both in and outside of the classroom.
- As a school, it is our aim to instil a love and passion for Geography learning in all our children.
- To teach a full, exciting and varied curriculum that allows children to investigate a range of places, developing their knowledge and understanding of the Earth’s physical and human processes
- Staff will provide children with opportunities to investigate and enquire in order to develop a real sense of their heritage and who they are
- To meet the needs of all learners by adapting so everyone can succeed
- To construct an ambitious curriculum that inspires and motivates all learners
- To develop a skill and enquiry based curriculum looking at future outcomes for our children, providing them with equal opportunities
- We will maintain high standards and promote ambition for all through the teaching of extensive vocabulary, fieldwork and high quality characteristics of geographers
- To ensure coverage of all National Curriculum skills from Geography
- To provide a differentiated and challenging curriculum based on the children’s areas of interest and need.
- School values and growth mindset are consistently addressed through geography teaching.
- Increase children’s knowledge of other cultures and in doing so; teach respect and understanding of what it means to be a positive citizen in a multicultural country and world.
- Check learners’ understanding, identify misconceptions accurately and provide verbal feedback at the time of learning; enabling progress
- Create an environment that reflects our ambitious intentions for our curriculum, including exposure to ‘reactive geography’ that informs children of current worldwide events in the news
- Immersive hooks are used to provide children with wider experiences and opportunities (cultural capital)
- Tier 2/3 vocabulary is explicitly taught and applied for each subject, this will be accessible in all teaching and the classroom environment
- Allow opportunities for fieldwork (both day trips and residential trips) so that children can apply their geographical skills to real-life contexts
- Children will achieve age related expectation or above
- By using a skills-based curriculum for more purposeful teaching, children will have a fuller understanding of transferring their skills to others areas of learning
- Children will make connections to real life contexts based on their geographical knowledge, including links to their local area and how it has been shaped
- Through teaching, children will become reflective geographers, understanding their impact as a citizen on the wider world and act positively within their local community
- Children have a deeper level of understanding through our deep question approach.
- Wider range of vocabulary used and understood by our children through high quality teaching